Unlike most clean eaters, I hate boneless skinless chicken breasts!! I struggle to find ways to make them appetizing. I miss the skin and I miss the dark meat! The other day, boneless and skinless chicken breasts were on the menu again at the Jung house. We decided to make a favorite meal a little healthier. Who doesn’t love chicken burritos!
2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
2 avocados, smashed
1 can of black beans
1/2 an onion
2 garlic cloves,minced
1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
handful of cilantro
salsa, cheese, and sour cream (optional)
- In a medium pan, cook onion and garlic in olive oil on medium heat. Till they are softened,approximately 5 minutes.
- Place beans in a sauce pan and heat on low for 10 minutes. Once done set aside.
- While, onion and garlic are cooking, cook chicken breasts in a separate pan on medium-high heat. Approximately 8 minutes per side until cooked. Add chicken broth to pan and simmer for 5 minutes covered.
- Remove onions and garlic from heat and put aside.
- Remove chicken breasts, place on cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 a cup of chicken broth to the pan that chicken was in and reduce by half. Then take the handful of cilantro, add to liquid and continue to reduce on, medium for a couple of minutes.
- Cut chicken into strips and add back into the pan with the sauce.
- Add onion and garlic mixture to the pan and continue cooking until the liquid thickens.
- Assemble bowls. Put down black beans, chicken, tomatoes and smashed avocado.
- Top with salsa, cheese or sour cream if you like.
Serve hot and ENJOY!