This past week has been a rough one in our household. The baby caught a cold while we were travelling over New Year’s and it has lingered into this week. With both of us taking care of her and any one that has kids knows that it is impossible to take care of a sick baby and not be covered in germs themselves. Both of us have ended up with the most brutal cold that I have had in many years. With this cold came a horrible sore throat. What is the best remedy for a sore throat besides some warm tea, a great big bowl of chicken soup. Chicken soup has been known to have healing properties and when I am sick I love homemade soup. I am not a from the can type of gal! Here is a quick recipe that Jon whipped up for us:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 pint of mushrooms
- 1 bulb of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- splash of white wine
- 2 tsp thyme
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 carton on chicken stock
- salt and pepper to season
- Chop all vegetables and add to a soup pot with curry powder. Cook the veggies down on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- Chop the chicken into pieces. We prefer strips for a chunkier soup. Season the chicken with thyme and salt.
- Put the chicken in a pan and cook using olive oil till browned on both sides. Add Chicken to the pot.
- Add the carton of stock to the veggies and chicken.
- Let soup simmer on low for 45 minutes. Serve hot and ENJOY!
What is your home remedy for colds and flu?