Every Saturday night in my house is our cheat meal night. Jon had bought a pizza stone recently and has been dying to try it out. Obviously I wanted to try as many pizzas as possible on this thing. We have never done pizza at home before and wanted to have a simple and quick dough recipe. Who wants to wait hours for the dough to rise? I know I can’t wait that long. It is a great at home date night activity or something to do with the kids. We all have different topping preferences. We had decided to go with prosciutto, pepperoni and mushrooms. As far as cheese goes, we love a good smoked mozzarella! If you have not had it, you have to. As far as cheeses go, this one is life changing. Okay maybe not life changing but it took my husband from hating all cheese to actually eating cheese. We did not have pizza for the first 3 years of our relationship and I love pizza. You do not need a pizza stone to make this recipe but having one definitely changes the taste of your pizza. Give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 oz yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Combine wine, water and yeast in a large bowl and stir until the yeast has dissolved.
- Add the salt and olive oil and mix throughly. Add one cup of flour and mix with a wooden spoon to make a loose batter. Slowly add the rest of the flour and stir with the spoon for around 3 minutes to incorporate as much flour as possible.
- Bring the dough together with your hands and transfer to a floured board or marble surface. Knead for approximately 6 minutes, until you have a smooth but firm dough.
- Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and then cover with a kitchen towel. Put aside in an area of the kitchen that is warm and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Cut the risen dough into 4 equal portions and knead each one into a round. Then cover and let rise for 15 more minutes.
- To make the pizzas: dust a clean work surface with flour. Working on one piece at a time , flatten the dough into a 10-12 round. This took us some practice. It really depends on how you like your pizza. I like my a little thicker than Jon does, we had a few different versions until we found one we both liked.
- Cover with a pizza sauce of your liking. Leave enough room for the crust. Put topping on that you like and as much cheese as you like.
- Place pizza in pre-heated oven for approx 17-20 minutes at 450. Serve hot and ENJOY!
What are your favorite toppings to put on pizza?