With the weather being as cold as it has been, it is a great time to cook up something hearty like beef stew. This is a little recipe we whipped up one night when we had some beef stew meat in the fridge. It is a pretty quick and easy beef stew to make. As always the left overs the next night were amazing! This is a must try recipe especially while the cold temperatures are still plaguing us.
- 2 pound beef stew meat
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 onion, diced
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 2 cups of red wine
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large parsnips, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- First chop up the onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Next season the stew meat and brown on all sides in a large pot or dutch oven. Set meat aside.
- Cook the vegetables in the same pot used to brown the meat. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pot while the vegetables are cooking. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the meat back in along with the thyme, bay leaves and wine.
- Cook until boiling and add the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Place covered in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and add chopped parsnips.
- Sieve flour into the pot slowly and mix well to thicken.
- Place pot back into oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.