When we are looking for a quick and budget friendly meal, we generally turn to pasta. I try to get a healthier pasta. There are so many to choose from these days: spelt, whole wheat, brown rice, kamut and others. This recipe is a quick marinara and makes enough for left overs or for you to freeze if you would like. Give this recipe a try the next time you are looking for a quick sauce. We always make our own, no bottled sauce in our house!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 58 oz canned tomatoes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 13 z canned in water artichoke hearts, chopped ( you can use fresh but it is a lot of work, you deserve a medal if you can do it)
- 1 pound of cooked pasta of your choice
- salt & pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Add olive oil, onions, celery minced garlic, and mushrooms to a saute pan. Saute on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add oregano, rosemary, basil and red pepper flakes. Stir frequently so it does not burn for about a minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped artichoke hearts and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over pasta. We use spaghetti but you can use any pasta you want! You could even do this with quinoa or couscous. Enjoy!
What is your go to quick sauce recipe??