Hi everyone! I’m Alex and I blog over at Made to Glow. I am excited to share this
recipe with you while Joanne is enjoying a lovely babymoon in St. Lucia. This is a tasty
weeknight dinner or a fun, festive dinner for entertaining. It’s perfect for the holidays
and highlights some of the wonderful seasonal produce around right now. This recipe
is gluten-free and easily adaptable to be vegan and sugar-free. I hope you enjoy!
Inspired by this recipe from Gourmande in the Kitchen
Ingredients for Stuffed Acorn Squash and Salad:
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper for coating the acorn squash
- Several large handfuls of greens (I like arugula or mixed baby greens)
- 2 TB toasted chopped walnuts
- 2 TB dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/4-1/2 cup canned white beans (rinsed well and drained)
- Cheese crumbles (I used goat cheese) – optional, omit if dairy-free
- Ingredients for the Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 4 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TB balsamic vinegar
- 1 drop coconut nectar or maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
– Wash and cut an acorn squash in half or in thirds (if it’s a huge one) and remove
the seeds. Place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and coat with olive oil, salt, and
pepper. Place the squash on the baking pan cut side down.
– Roast at 400 degrees until soft and tender.
While the squash is cooking:
– Whisk the dressing ingredients together or combine in a jar (just shake it up!). You
will have more than you need, so simply save it in the fridge to use all week.
– Put all of the salad ingredients together in a big bowl, add your desired amount of
dressing on top and toss.
When squash is done, drizzle some of the dressing on it. To serve, place squash on a
plate, skin side down, fill with salad mix and then drizzle a bit more dressing on top
and garnish with crumbled goat cheese.
Alexandra Fiman Maul, MPH is a health educator and public health professional. She
created Made to Glow, a health education venture, to pursue her dream of helping others feel
their best and glow from the inside out. Connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,
Pinterest, and www.madetoglow.com to learn more.