I have posted many of my husband Jon’s recipes in the past. This is one that he makes for me frequently on Sundays. It take a little time to make but it is sooooo worth it! We usually use about 2 1/2 pounds of short ribs, then we have dinner for 2 sometimes 3 nights. These short ribs make great left overs! Give it a try and let us know how you like it!
- Olive Oil
- 3 Boneless Shortribs ( 2 inch thick )
- Salt and Ground Pepper
- 1 Large Onion
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Celery Stalks
- 4 Carrots
- One Bottle Pinot Noir
- 6 Thyme Sprigs
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a deep pan or dutch oven heat up the olive oil and brown the short ribs on each side. About 4 minutes each side.
- Once the short ribs are browned set them aside in a baking pan and add the vegetables to the pan that you browned the meat in. Cook the vegetables stirring regularly for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the red wine and thyme to the vegetable and bring to a boil.
- Place the ribs into a large deep pot and pour the wine & vegetables over top. Add the stock to the pot and cover and bring to a boil.
- Place the covered pot in the oven and cook at 350° for 90 minutes. Take off the lid and cook for an additional hour.
- Gently take out the rubs and place in a shallow baking dish. Strain the vegetables in a cullender catching the juice in a bowl. Place the liquid back into the large pot and boil on the stove. Place the vegetables in a pan.
- Turn the broiler to high.
- Place a bit of the juices onto the ribs and place the baking pan into the oven along with the vegetables.
- Cook on high for about 5 minutes and flip the ribs. Cook for another 5 minutes and remove the baking pan.
- Continue cooking the vegetables for another 10 minutes until browned.
- To plate place either mashed potatoes or a parsnip puree into a bowl. Cut the rib in half and place the half piece into the center of the potatoes or puree. Spoon in some of the vegetables around the rib. Ladle some of the juices over the rib and serve with a glass of the pinot noir.