- 1 cup white rice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 can 15oz black beans
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 onion sliced
- 5 scallions, trimmed and sliced to 1 inch bits
- 1 pound peeled shrimp (we used fresh but frozen is fine)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper
- Boil 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Add rice and lower the heat to low, cover and cook till rice is tender. Add half of the lime juice to the rice.
- Mash half of the beans with 1/2 cup of water, in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the rest of the beans and the oregano. Let the beans simmer for approx 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, turn the heat off and cover to keep warm.
- Pre-heat a grill pan or a regular large pan, over medium heat. In a large bowl toss onion, scallions, shrimp and olive oil, and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper. Grill or saute the onions and scallion whites for approx 7 minutes. Then add the scallion greens and shrimp for approx 4 minutes turning the shrimp at least once. Transfer to a plate.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado, with the remaining lime juice. Add Rice to your serving bowls, top with black beans, veggies, shrimp and then add the mashed avocado on top. ENJOY!
This recipe goes great with some chips and salsa on the side!