Lately we have been on a pasta binge. If we are not cooking pasta we have been going to restaurants and eating pasta. I love making pasta at home because it is delicious and it is budget friendly. Try this simple recipe and try using smoked mozzarella because it is amazing. If you give it a try, let me know how it goes!
- 14 oz penne
- 14 oz canned chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 small red chile
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- handful of torn or chopped basil
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp capers
- 6 oz of smoked mozzarella
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Add your tomatoes to a large shallow saucepan. Add the chile, garlic, onions, tomato paste, basil, sugar, balsamic vinegar, and capers. Cook, stirring over high heat until the sauce has thickened and is reduced by half. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Then add a large pinch of salt. Add the penne and cook until al dente, usually about 8 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, reserve some pasta water and put aside. Return the pasta and the reserved pasta water to the saucepan. Add the slices on mozzarella on top of the penne. Pour the hot tomato sauce over top, toss and stir until it is mixed well and the mozzarella is melted. Sprinkle with olive oil and serve with some basil on top. ENJOY!