Here is another yummy pasta recipe. This is a take on the Spaghetti alla Carbonara that i posted a while back. You can find that one here: http://wp.me/p3wWp1-Yv We are still obsessed with pancetta at my place. So this is another recipe with the very delicious pancetta! Make sure to ask for it a your deli in one big chunk not deli sliced. That way you can cut it into large chunks. Try this amazing recipe!
- 4 eggs
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- 1/4 pound of pancetta, cubed
- 1 pound of Italian sausage, skins removed
- 3/4 pound of dry penne or whole wheat penne
- flat-leaf parsley leaves
- salt and pepper
- Combine the eggs, lemon juice, zest and parmesan in a bowl. Beat with a fork until mixture is smooth. Season with black pepper and put mixture aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan then add pancetta. Make sure the pan is large enough that it will be able to fit all ingredients and the pasta eventually. Cook over medium heat until pancetta is crisp about 5 minutes. Remove the pancetta and set aside.
- Add the sausage to the pan and saute until it is cooked, about 5 minutes. Return the pancetta to the pan and keep warm.
- Cook the pasta in salted, boiling water until it is almost al dente. Drain the water but reserve a small cup of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta to the sausage and pancetta mixture with the reserved pasta water and cook on high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and immediately stir in the egg mixture and the chopped parsley. The heat from the sausage with cook the eggs. Transfer to a plate and serve hot! On a side note make sure to use freshly grated parmesan, ours was not so fresh so it made the pasta mixture a little lumpy. We did make it a second time that I do not have pictures of that turned out less lumpy! ENJOY!