I know it is a little hot out right now. You may be thinking soup in the summer? I love making soup so no time of year is the wrong time for me. I love the way a simmering pot of soup makes my kitchen smell. I had never had pea soup so I decided it was about time and why not make it myself! Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 16 cups of water
- 4 bay leaves
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 3 large carrots
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1tbsp thyme
- 1 1/2 cups cubed chicken, cooked
- salt and pepper
- Put 2 cups of dried peas in a large sauce pot/pan. Cover peas with 12 cups of water. Add 2 bay leaves, salt and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Drain peas and set aside.
- In a large soup pot add olive oil and heat on medium. Add chopped celery, carrots, and onion. Saute for about 5-8 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add 4 cups of chicken stock and 4 cups of water. Add 2 more bay leaves, peas and thyme and bring to a boil. Add cooked cubed chicken.
- Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for about 60 minutes. The peas have to be soft. Stir often since the peas tend to sink to the bottom and burn.
- Remove the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot and ENJOY!